A pleasant, rich curry with gentle spice and warming heat and with a sweet tang somewhere between Indian and Thai…
1tsp ground coriander seeds
1/2tsp ground cumin seeds
two onions, coarsely chopped
two red chillis, deseeded
three cloves of garlic
fresh ginger, three 1cm cubes
two chicken breasts, chopped into 3cm chunks
400g tin Coconut milk
Juice and zest of one lime
3tbsps fresh chopped coriander
Salt and pepper to taste.
- Blitz the red chilli, garlic and ginger in a food processor and set aside.
- Heat oil in heavy pan; add bay, cloves and cardamoms and fry gently for five minutes.
- Add onion and fry gently for a further ten minutes.
- Add ground coriander and, after a minute, the cumin. Fry for two minutes, stirring thoroughly.
- Add the chilli/garlic/ginger mixture and continue to fry for two minutes.
- Add chicken and mix thoroughly, coating the outside. Continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring to ensure all meat is sealed.
- Add coconut milk and bring back to gentle simmer, stirring frequently to prevent curdling.
- After 10 minutes, add lime zest and juice and stir well, and then five minutes later the chopped coriander.
- Simmer gently so that the sauce thickens. Season to taste. Serve with garnish of chopped coriander.